Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Getting Down To Frizzness: Charlotte!












It's a great day to be a curly!!!! I pray everyone had a stupendous Fourth of July & had a blast rocking your Frizzness!

I can't tell you how I am excited to introduce this gorgeous natural to you, Sugarlumps! She is confident, charming, steadfast & just a sweetie pie! Not to mention, she's a woman of FAITH who's so bad, even her babies got swag, lol! Meet Charlotte - a natural inspiration encouraging us all to follow our OWN hair rules!


How long have you been rocking your frizzness?
- I’ve been natural for three years, however I’ve one TRULY been taking care of my hair for about a year! 

Did you desire a second date following your BC/End of transition, or did you make reservations for a party of ONE?
- I made reservations for a party of ONE… ONE AND DONE!! Didn’t fall off the wagon and go back to the ‘creamy crack’, and I don’t plan on it either! 

Natural Hair doesn't define who you are BUT.....- Natural Hair does indeed make me stand out in a crowd!! All the amazing styles that I can do with my hair are ENDLESS!! I truly love it!

What was the moment of epiphany in your journey?-
Before I became natural, I was telling my beautiful daughters (three of them) how beautiful and amazing they are with their natural hair… I would then go into the bathroom and put my perm in… I felt like a hypocrite!! Telling my children one thing and doing another!! So, one day I talked to my husband and let him know I was DONE with perming my hair and sending a WRONG message to my babies. I wanted them to TRULY know they were beautiful in the skin/hair they were given by GOD and I wanted to be an example to them!

Because natural manes are so unpredictable, how do you combat feeling defeated on days when your crown seems less than stellar (based your OWN criteria)?
- I simply put a scarf or a beanie on my head and roll. I don’t let my hair ruin my day. It’s JUST HAIR!! 

Do random people attempt to lay hands in your mane?

- UGH!! YES… I truly cannot stand it either. I liken it to someone trying to touch my tummy when I’m pregnant. My hair is an extension of me… Why on EARTH would someone do that?? It’s rude and disrespectful!

Do you find your mane becoming the grand topic of conversation?
- Many times, yes. My hair tends to be a conversation piece wherever I go… There aren’t too many natural folks out where I am, so I am the topic of discussion many times.

CONFIDENCE CHECK: Has natural hair allowed you to dance as if no one is watching, or has your aurora remain unfazed since your relaxed days?
- YES!! My hair…well, the complete change of lifestyle that came with me being natural definitely has boosted my confidence!! I’m FREE… Free to enjoy me and the way GOD made me to be!! How could it not boost my confidence??? 

Share some secrets leading to a fabulous, happy, HEALTHY mane...promise we WILL tell!
- WATER WATER WATER!! Drink lots of it and feed it to your hair as well!! Eat lots of veggies and exercise regularly. I noticed that when I started eating right and taking care of my body, my hair flourished as well! 

What was the WORST mistake you’ve made along the way?- Trying to follow what the “Natural Nazis” tell me I should do with my hair. I believe EVERYONE should use whatever products THEY want on their natural hair… Doesn’t matter what others say… Use what your hair likes. We are all different. My motto? “THE GROWTH DON’T LIE!!”

What advice can you bless new, transitioning or frustrated kinky curly queens with?
- Hang in there, ladies!! It’s trial and error!! Don’t give up!!! You’ll eventually find what works for you.. AND PLEASE, OH PLEASE… Don’t let the “Natural Nazis” lead you astray!! 

What natural experiments put the glam in your crown? Which ones ended up filed under Campaign EPIC FAIL?
- I started making my own hair products and it made my hair LOVELY!!! It totally made all the difference!! – My failures?? Trying to wash it all the time… My hair likes to be a bit dirty (I ain’t lyin’!!) – It digs a bit of dirt and strives on it! 

What's the most fabulous part of your journey to frizzness?
- Seeing my babies look up to me and see me looking JUST LIKE THEM!! Nothing better than to know that your babies see themselves in you!!

Outside of your gorgeous mane, what inspires you?- I love the LORD!!! I love singing, dancing, sewing, making jewelry, making clothing, my babies, my husband, my life!! I am inspired by LIFE!! 

How can our beautiful readers find you on the web?
- I have a blog: http://charlottesavenue.blogspot.com – I talk about natural hair, my family and everything in between!!  Also, I have an Etsy.com page (Pakaia) where I will be selling my creations very soon!! Also, on FB, I can be reached at http://facebook.com/blackproudsista.

Many thanks & blessings for getting down to frizzness!

No comments: