Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Getting Down To Frizzness: Monica!






SO I saw this little lady on Facebook, & I adored her hair! And she has the sweetest personality to boot...gorgeous inside & out! Meet Monica, a curlie cutie destined for to inspire us all!

Tell us about you: I am a senior in college studying Sociology & I am fascinated by natural hair, it is absolutely gorgeous!

How long have you been rocking your frizzness? I have been natural for three years but I just now started wearing it curly and I have been doing that for about three months and I LOVE IT.

Did you desire a second date following your BC/End of transition, or did you make reservations for a party of ONE? That wasn’t a problem because I wore sew ins for a year while I was transitioning.

Natural Hair doesn't define who you are BUT.....it shows the versatility you can do with your hair. There are so many unique styles that naturals can rock and look hot! Natural hair is unpredictable but it gives you a chance to play with your hair and come up with great styles.

What was the moment of epiphany in your journey? I had no idea what to do with my curly hair so I panicked and thought that I needed to straighten it to deal with it and get a desired look. Boy was I wrong!

Because natural manes are so unpredictable, how do you combat feeling defeated on days when your crown seems less than stellar (based your OWN criteria)? Sometimes it gets tough, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. When I am having problems with my hair, I will do a wash n’ go and I am usually fine.

Do random people attempt to lay hands in your mane? No, it’s people that I know.

Do you find your mane becoming the grand topic of conversation? No, most people that I know are not natural so it doesn’t come up much at all. People will ask me questions about it but we don't talk about hair the whole time.

CONFIDENCE CHECK: Has natural hair allowed you to dance as if no one is watching, or has your aurora remain unfazed since your relaxed days? Yes, I feel free and I love it. It’s nice to be able to wear your hair in its natural state.

Share some secrets leading to a fabulous, happy, HEALTHY mane...promise we WILL tell! I try to keep my hair moisturized and my ends trimmed! Hair needs moisture, moisture, moisture! I try to use as many organic products that I can without hurting my wallet.

What was the WORST mistake you’ve made along the way? Probably buying super expensive products and straightening my hair so much.

What advice can you bless new, transitioning or frustrated kinky curly queens with? Don’t give up, rock your curls because they are beautiful. I would go easy on the heat, don’t think you have to straighten your hair every time you wash it because you can wear your hair curly and wear tons of unique hairstyles!


What natural experiments put the glam in your crown? Which ones ended up filed under Campaign EPIC FAIL? I finally had a successful twist out and I was super pleased!! I tried to a bantu knot out on dry hair and it didn’t work for me. I have to do my hairstyles with wet or damp hair. I still rocked the hair do but it wasn’t as nice as I have seen others with the bantu knots! I will keep experimenting and learning.

What's the most fabulous part of your journey to frizzness? I just love to experiment with it and learn how to take care of my hair. I’m just learning how to take care of natural hair, what a shame! It’s been a fun and frustrating journey!


Outside of your gorgeous mane, what inspires you? Friends, positive energy, family, poetry/writing and mustic!

How can our beautiful readers find you on the web? My email is montyme@hotmail.com or you can find me on facebook- Monica Winehouse


Many thanks & blessings for getting down to frizzness!

No comments: