Monday, October 3, 2011

Getting Down To Frizzness: Angela Batravil!

Great day, Curlies!
What a joy to bring to you one talented young woman who is an artist at heart and a gorgeous natural! Take one look at her pre-BC pictures & you will truly be inspired by the courage it took to Big Chop her waist length tresses! She's an awesome wife, mother, producer, writer, actress AND director....WHEW! But most of all she's an encouragement to the natural communit






y. Please meet Angela B!


Tell us about you:
My Name is Angela Batravil. I am originally from Philadelphia and I currently live in Los Angeles. Professionally, I am an actor/director/writer/producer. In 2010 I founded Strong Mountain Productions; a Los Angeles based entertainment company where I serve as Creative Director. I am currently rehearsing a stage production I wrote called “Testimonies From The Valley”. I am directing and producing this show and I’m also starring in it along with 6 amazing actors. The show opens on October 14th, 2011 at the Attic Theater in Los Angeles.

Personally, I am a wife and a mother of school aged children. Between work and family I’m a very busy lady.

How long have you been rocking your frizzness?
I’m approaching 9 years with my happy natural.

Natural Hair doesn't define who you are BUT.....it does say a lot about your personal comfort with who you are.

What was the moment of epiphany in your journey?
The real Epiphany for me was about 8 or 9 months into my journey when I realized that my natural hair was actually curly! My hair had been chemically straightened since I was a child and I really had no clue what my natural texture was. When I first went natural I started twisting, and manipulating my hair into so many “styles”, that I still failed to realize what it could do all on its’ own. I was truly amazed to discover that when I wash my hair and let it air dry, it curls all by itself. Wow! It doesn’t get any easier than that.

Because natural manes are so unpredictable, how do you combat feeling defeated on days when your crown seems less than stellar (based your OWN criteria)?
When my hair is doing strange things, I rock a style I call the “Half-fro”. I pull it all over to one side and pin it up. Somehow, no matter what’s going on with the curls (or lack thereof) the half-fro seems to make it alright.

Do random people attempt to lay hands in your mane?
Yes. I’ve had lots of people ask to touch my hair. It doesn’t bother me. I see it as a chance to educate.

Do you find your mane becoming the grand topic of conversation?
Oh yeah. The most common comment I hear is from other African American women with chemically treated or weaved hair saying “I wish I could wear my hair like that”. I always try to encourage women that they can!

The other constant conversation is with other naturals. We always ask each other “What products do you use on your hair?” I really think that most naturals are product junkies. We buy and try a lot of hair products.

CONFIDENCE CHECK: Has natural hair allowed you to dance as if no one is watching, or has your aurora remain unfazed since your relaxed days?
I am much more comfortable with myself since going natural. When my hair was relaxed I had to put a lot of effort into making sure it looked a certain way. Being natural I’m not so concerned. I’m completely comfortable just letting it be. I wear my hair exactly the way God makes it grow.

Share some secrets leading to a fabulous, happy, HEALTHY mane...promise we WILL tell!
Conditioner and moisture are key. 2 of my must-haves are extra virgin olive oil and pure coconut oil. I mix these together in a squeeze bottle and use them daily. Also a good trim every few months is essential to keeping healthy hair too.

What was the WORST mistake you’ve made along the way?
At about 1.5 years I dyed my whole head red. Dying natural hair seems to be a part of most people’s journey. I think when your hair is short and natural for the first time, dying it seems like a great idea to give it some pizzaz. I must say, it was a lot of fun to wear my curly red, but it turned out to be horrible for the health of my hair. It became dry and brittle. No matter what I did I couldn’t stop the breakage. So…that sizzling red hair eventually led me back to another big chop and I started all over again. This time I vowed to never dye it again.

What advice can you bless new, transitioning or frustrated kinky curly queens with?
For those transitioning I would advise not to prolong the big chop. Growing your hair out with braids or wigs before cutting it is a good idea for a short while, but the misconception that you will grow enough natural roots to start with a huge head of afro is just not so. Make the chop rather quickly and get on with the rest of journey even quicker.

For new naturals I would advise to resist the temptation to constantly style your new natural. Instead, get a good conditioner and begin to just let it be. Let your hair find its own curl pattern. You just might be surprised what your hair will do all by itself.

What natural experiments put the glam in your crown? Which ones ended up filed under Campaign EPIC FAIL?
Leave-in conditioners are the best glam secret for my hair! I was not raised using leave-ins. I always believed that when I wash my hair I should rinse it very well to get everything out. Leaving any products in my hair would be unclean. Or so I thought. When I discovered the power of a good leave-in I couldn’t believe I went so long without this knowledge.

What's the most fabulous part of your journey to frizzness?
I’ve experienced many wonderful things from going natural however the most fabulous part is not even about me. In recent years my two older sisters and my niece have gone natural. I really loved watching their journeys. I’d like to think that maybe I had something to do with their choice….just maybe. ;o) Either way, I’m excited and proud of them for making this bold choice.

Outside of your gorgeous mane, what inspires you?
Jesus Christ, my family and art are the core inspirations in my life. These 3 are the reason that I continue to forge forward every day.

How can our beautiful readers find you on the web?
You can friend me on Facebook: Angela Batravil
Follow me on Twitter: AngelaBatravil
or
To join the Strong Mountain email list to stay informed about current and upcoming productions, email StrongMountainProdutcions@yahoo.com stating so. We’ll add you to our list
.

Many thanks & blessings for getting down to frizzness!
Thank you. It was my pleasure.

1 comment:

isonprize said...

The Frizzness! You chose a fabulous lady for this interview! Hey Angie, lookin' good, girl! Sabra T.