Friday, May 13, 2011

Getting Down To Frizzness: Truly Naturally Coiled!





How long have you been rocking your frizzness?
I have been completely natural and loving it for a year!

Did you desire a second date following your BC/End of transition, or did you make reservations for a party of ONE?
Just a reservation for one! I was hesitant about the big step but it’s been one of the best decisions I have made for myself!

Natural Hair doesn't define who you are BUT.....
It gives you a sense of HOW I am; I care about my body, my health and those surrounding me. My daughter is completely natural and I care that she has a great example to go by.

What was the moment of epiphany in your journey?
I was suffering from a lot of breakage and damage to my hair, I was forced to cut it off after it all fell out, my mother who is also natural told me that why not try being natural. Just leave the chemicals out and see what it does, and I took heed of her advice and it worked out!

Because natural manes are so unpredictable, how do you combat feeling defeated on days when your crown seems less than stellar (based your OWN criteria)?
I remind myself of why I decided to go on this journey and also everyday wont be a stellar day. I pray everyday for my well being and I appreciate the small things. Regardless of how my mane is acting I know that in this state that it is beautiful and the healthiest it has ever been.

Do random people attempt to lay hands in your mane?Attempt?!
They do it anyway, some will ask, stop me and ask how I take care of it, especially when I wear my afro out, they have so many questions. I love it all! I love Natural Hair!

Do you find your mane becoming the grand topic of conversation?
I do! It goes from “What products do you use” to “So when did your journey start”, to a host of other questions, then I end up giving them my contact information just in case they have more questions.

CONFIDENCE CHECK: Has natural hair allowed you to dance as if no one is watching, or has your aurora remain unfazed since your relaxed days?
My image of myself has changed a little. When I was relaxed, I was very confident in who I was. This journey has allowed me to strip away those superficial parts and discover who I am, who I aspire to be. I’m a much more confident natural, black young woman. I love what this journey gives. I wake up every morning with a song in my heart, I contribute some of that to being a natural but most to God.

Share some secrets leading to a fabulous, happy, HEALTHY mane...promise we WILL tell!
The key for me is moisture, keeping your hair moisturized…fed. We have always been taught that we shouldn’t put hair on our hair, it would mess it up. I spritz my hair every morning with water and coconut oil. Also handling your hair gently like you would a baby. Taking extra time to do scalp massages, getting to know your hair. Less stressful styles, and my main secret is love! Love for my hair, in any state, nappy, curly, just there I love it!

What was the WORST mistake you’ve made along the way?
Being relaxed in the first place! But being natural is a trial and error period, you have to try different things to know what your hair needs will be.

What advice can you bless new, transitioning or frustrated kinky curly queens with?
Patience is key! This journey will develop and be more interesting if you are patient and enjoy along the way. Remember what works for others may not work for you, so have fun figuring it out!

What natural experiments put the glam in your crown? Which ones ended up filed under Campaign EPIC FAIL?
Oils are my friend, I like a nice shiny, curly fro! Fails for me were the Bantu Knots, tried it didn’t work, but that’s not to say that I wont try it again, practice makes perfect! Also I tried the homemade Protein Conditioner using the egg, my hair was harder than cement, so that’s a definite no! No more practice needed on that one!

What's the most fabulous part of your journey to frizzness?
The journey itself, the changes, the frustrations, the learning experience.

Outside of your gorgeous mane, what inspires you?
God is my main inspiration, but seeing others on their natural journey and learning right along side me is a great push. I’m here to teach and inform as much as I can about natural hair and all it has to offer.

How can our beautiful readers find you on the web?
Catch me @ www.youtube.com/trulynaturallycoiled
Facebook me @ https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/TrulyNaturallyCoiled/167558156634789

Many thanks & blessings for getting down to frizzness!
Thank you for this wonderful opportunity! Blessings.

No comments: