Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Getting Down To Frizzness: Saleemah of Hydratherma Naturals!







We have been blessed to travel with her from her stunning BC to the sheer awesomeness of her versatil, swoon-worthy mane! Now the voice behind Healthy Hair Journey & Hydratherma Naturals takes time out of her hectic schedule to get down to Frizzness!

Tell us about you:
My name is Saleemah Cartwright. I am the co-owner of the Hydratherma Naturals Healthy Hair Care Product Collection. I am a former cosmetologist and hospice registered nurse. Hair is my first passion and I’m doing what I love.

How long have you been rocking your frizzness?
I have been natural and relaxed numerous times however, this time I am here to stay I did my big chop in 2008 and I transitioned for 5 months. Prior to that, I was relaxed for a number of years.

Did you desire a second date following your BC/End of transition, or did you make reservations for a party of ONE?
I transitioned for 5 months before doing the big chop. I did it myself. My hair was about 1.5 inches long. Going from long hair to short was a big adjustment for me but I loved my natural kinks. After 2 days I was totally in love with my short do!

Natural Hair doesn't define who you are BUT.....
It definitely does give me more confidence.

Because natural manes are so unpredictable, how do you combat feeling defeated on days when your crown seems less than stellar (based your OWN criteria)?
On less than stellar days, I typically wear a bun or a puff. You can’t go wrong with this type of style….no matter what the weather is like outside 

Do random people attempt to lay hands in your mane?
I actually don’t have many people touching my hair without asking first. Once in a while someone may touch my hair without asking and it doesn’t bother me at all. I was one of those people who touched without asking because I would be so excited to see and feel lovely healthy hair. I have since made a conscious effort to ask first 

Do you find your mane becoming the grand topic of conversation?
Lol…sometimes. Especially when I wear my hair BIG!!! Big hair is always an attention getter. People always ask me how I maintain my hair and what products I use.

CONFIDENCE CHECK: Has natural hair allowed you to dance as if no one is watching, or has your aurora remain unfazed since your relaxed days?
Honestly…. as I have gotten older, I can care less what others think. I now have the confidence to wear my hair how I want. Some people were a little angry with me when I cut off my long relaxed hair. I posted a video of my big chop on my youtube page and some people left negative comments about me cutting off my long relaxed hair. I’m really happy with my hair and that is all that matters.

Share some secrets leading to a fabulous, happy, HEALTHY mane...promise we WILL tell!

1. Maintaining a great moisture / protein balance in the hair to prevent breakage and promote length retention.
2. Protecting the ends of the hair because they are the most fragile.
3. Regular trims have also helped because split ends break.
4. Avoiding heat damage.

What was the WORST mistake you’ve made along the way?
The worst mistake for me was wearing very tiny single strand twist and leaving them in almost 2 weeks. I then unraveled the twists and wore a twist out for a few days. This resulted in numerous single strand knots which I eventually had to cut off. Many others have used this style as a great protective style. It just didn’t work for me. I prefer chunky twist outs and braid outs. It results in less fairy knots.

What advice can you bless new, transitioning or frustrated kinky curly queens with?
I suggest that all transitioners keep their new growth well moisturized and sealed with oil. I transitioned for 5 months and it was not terribly difficult. I have a 4a / 3c mix hair type. Keeping the new growth and line of demarcation well moisturized will help prevent some of the breakage that most transitioners experience.
I also suggest that the transitioner wear curly styles. This will camouflage the difference in texture and will make things easier.

What natural experiments put the glam in your crown? Which ones ended up filed under Campaign EPIC FAIL?
Chunky twist outs and chunky braid outs always work for me.
The banding technique was a definite EPIC FAIL!!!! lol

What's the most fabulous part of your journey to frizzness?
Total acceptance of self was and still is the best part of my journey.

Outside of your gorgeous mane, what inspires you?
I desire to help others. Being able to help others is what motivates me the most. Philanthropy is the foundation of the Hydratherma Naturals line and we support many charities. Our goal is to expand with our philanthropic efforts.

How can our beautiful readers find you on the web?
http://www.HealthyHairJourney.com website
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hydratherma-Naturals/186951174658?ref=ts facebook
http://twitter.com/Hydratherma twitter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Healthy Hair Journey Enterprises L.L.C.
SAY GOODBYE TO DAMAGED, DRY AND LIFELESS HAIR!
HEALTHY HAIR CAN SOON BE YOURS!
www.HealthyHairJourney.com
Hydratherma Naturals on facebook
Hydratherma Naturals on Twitter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 comments:

Mikkimu said...

Great profile! Ms. Cartwright has been an inspiration for me along my journey. I have also tried a few of the products from her line and I was very pleased at the overall performance.

nicole said...

hi, im nicole and im in transition. its been about 4 months but i dont want to cut my hair cuz its already long. help?